Byrne State Crisis Intervention Program (Byrne SCIP)
The Byrne State Crisis Intervention Program (Byrne SCIP) provides federal funding to implement state gun crisis intervention court proceedings and related programs or initiatives, including, but not limited to, extreme risk protection order (ERPO) programs that work to keep firearms out of the hands of people who pose a threat to themselves or others, mental health courts, drug courts, and veterans’ treatment courts.
Byrne SCIP is authorized by the Bipartisan Safer Communities Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2022 (Pub. L. No. 117-159, 136 Stat. 1313, 1339); 28 U.S.C. 530C.opens PDF file
Byrne SCIP Advisory Board
The Board of State and Community Corrections established the Byrne SCIP Advisory Board on February 9, 2023 to inform and guide the implementation of the federal Byrne SCIP grant program. The Byrne SCIP Advisory Board includes, but is not limited to, representatives from law enforcement, the community, courts, prosecution, behavioral health providers, victim services, and legal counsel.
The California Board of State and Community Corrections (BSCC) established the Crisis Intervention Advisory Board on February 9, 2023 to inform and guide the implementation of the federal Byrne State Crisis Intervention Program (Byrne SCIP) grant. The Advisory Board consisted of the BSCC Board members and other subject matter experts, including additional representatives from prosecution, behavioral health, victim services, and legal counsel.
The BSCC appointed Linda Penner as the Advisory Board Chair and authorized her to appoint additional members as needed, consistent with the requirements of the Byrne SCIP federal grant program. The Crisis Intervention Board is convened in accordance with open-meeting laws and meetings are held in public locations that are noticed at least 10-days in advance.
September 14, 2023 Advisory Board Meeting
- Video Byrne SCIP Advisory Board Meeting 9-14-23
- Agenda Byrne SCIP Advisory Board Meeting 9-14-23opens PDF file
- Byrne SCIP Budget Plan Reportopens PDF file
- Attachment 1 – Byrne SCIP Program and Budget Planopens PDF file
- Attachment 2 – 2022 Byrne SCIP Budget Detail Worksheetopens PDF file
- Attachment 3 – Byrne SCIP Advisory Board Descriptionopens PDF file
- Attachment 4 – Byrne SCIP Advisory Board Letter of Approval 9-14-2023 Signedopens PDF file
- Public Comment Email – Budget to include Education in Byrne SCIP opens PDF file
- PowerPoint – Byrne SCIP Advisory Board – Req. Plan Approval (9-14-23)opens PDF file
April 13, 2023 Advisory Board Meeting
- Video Byrne SCIP Advisory Board Meeting 4-13-23
- Agenda Byrne SCIP Advisory Board Meeting 4-13-2023opens PDF file
- Byrne SCIP Advisory Board – Project Briefing PowerPoint 4-13-23opens PDF file
February 9, 2023 Advisory Board Meeting
Byrne SCIP Resources
Contact the BSCC regarding Byrne SCIP
Program Lead: Ian Silva, Field Representative at Ian.Sivla@bscc.ca.govcreate new email
If you would like to provide public comment via email please submit to: ByrneSCIP@bscc.ca.govcreate new email. All public comments will be compiled and provided to the Byrne SCIP Advisory Board. The public is also welcomed to provide public comment in person at Advisory Board meetings. The Advisory Board meeting dates will be posted at least ten days prior to the date of the meeting.